30.4.12

Slipper at the wheel


This cartoon is my first attempt to imitate watercolour in Photoshop. I've tried it before, but this is the most successful. 

As for the story behind the cartoon, Senator Craig Thomson (note to all cartoonists out there: this is NO relation to the author of HABIBI. He has a 'p' in his last name.) has left the Labor party to join the ranks of the independent crossbenchers. 

And speaking of independents currently under fire for misuse of taxpayer funds as well as embroiled in sex scandals, Pete Slipper has been put on suspension for his strange usage of cabcharge dockets as well as that sexual harassment case.

And so, the joke just kind of presented itself to me. Although, I had an idea making Slipper look like Emperor Palpatine and Thomson as some sort of padawan, but even I have to admit it wasn't that strong. This joke is much better.

But, ONE DAY I will get a Star Wars reference woven into one of my cartoons. Maybe if Thomson loses a hand...

No comments: